Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including Emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (distinguished by Gold Seal designations), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women's center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, Lazos de Familia and Healthy Beginnings pregnancy outreach programs, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also operates Northwest Allied Physicians, a physician practice offering primary care and a wide range of specialists as well as Desert Cardiology of Tucson. NMC is accredited by Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Summary: Collects and labels all specimens requiring testing in the clinical laboratory. Performs order entry of tests as necessary. Ensures that specimens are routed to appropriate areas for testing. Assists technologist in performance of laboratory work. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing in a pleasant and professional manner.
1. Consistently identifies patient using the two patient identifiers.
2. Draws blood from the patient according to laboratory policy and procedure, demonstrating good phlebotomy skills. Labels all specimens at the patient bedside.
3. Uses appropriate equipment and tube types for all tests ordered.
4. When receiving specimens, inspects the specimens, rejecting those that inappropriately collected or labeled.
5. Consistently ensures that all specimens received into the clinical laboratory are dispensed to the appropriate testing area in a timely fashion.
6. Consistently monitors stat boards to ensure appropriate specimen collection and turn around times.
7. Consistent demonstration of daily pending list management, including printing, reconciliation of specimens not received in all areas, and hand off to incoming staff.
8. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing.
9. Assists in the training of laboratory staff/ students as required, May perform clerical functions, as directed.
10. Demonstrates competency in all necessary hospital and LIS modules /functions.
Performs other job duties relevant to the position as assigned.
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: One year previous phlebotomy experience in a health care setting OR certification as a phlebotomist through an accredited agency.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. . Phlebotomy, medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
Licenses/Certifications: Required: BLS for Urgent Cares
About Northwest Medical Center & Oro Valley Hospital
Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed community hospital with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, ranging from emergency to cardiac, critical care, labor & delivery and beyond. We are nationally accredited in several areas including stroke, chest pain, heart failure and joint and spine surgery. Our mission is to provide the communities we serve with high-quality cost... effective and safe health care.
For Oro Valley:
Oro Valley Hospital has been nationally recognized for its quality care including designation as a Chest Pain Center, NICHE, PEDS "Pediatric Prepared", Primary Stroke Center, STEMI Receiving Center and Trauma Level IV. That coupled with a beautiful hospital in a scenic location makes Oro Valley Hospital an exceptional place to work.