Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (recognized with Gold Seal designations by The Joint Commission), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women's center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also has several affiliated physician practices including Northwest Allied Physicians offering primary care and a wide range of specialists, Desert Cardiology of Tucson, Heart Center of Southern Arizona and Northwest Heart & Vascular. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
No weekends, no holidays, no call!!
Summary: Assists the physician in the surgical OR suite using sterile technique for gowning and gloving; patient positioning; handing appropriate instruments to the surgeon during the surgical process, while anticipating their needs.
1. Assists with preparing rooms with needed appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment. Assists with maintaining surgeon's preference cards as needed.
2. Assists with opening of sterile supplies, sets up for procedures and maintains an orderly surgical field.
3. Adequately prepares for procedures/surgeries and anticipates physician's needs during procedures/surgeries.
4. Accepts and properly identifies any medication or solution on sterile field.
5. Performs sponge, instrument and sharps counts according to policy. Handles specimens/cultures according to policy.
6. Ensures accurate, timely communication among caregivers (e.g. hand off report) to include appropriate chain of command when indicated.
7. Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures to ensure minimal turnover time.
8. Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment, instruments and supplies and returns them to proper locations. Participates in department/facility cost containment programs.
9. Orients, instructs and trains assigned personnel and/or students.
10. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service workshops and meetings.
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Two years previous experience as a surgical technician preferred.
About Northwest Medical Center & Oro Valley Hospital
Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed community hospital with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, ranging from emergency to cardiac, critical care, labor & delivery and beyond. We are nationally accredited in several areas including stroke, chest pain, heart failure and joint and spine surgery. Our mission is to provide the communities we serve with high-quality cost... effective and safe health care.
For Oro Valley:
Oro Valley Hospital has been nationally recognized for its quality care including designation as a Chest Pain Center, NICHE, PEDS "Pediatric Prepared", Primary Stroke Center, STEMI Receiving Center and Trauma Level IV. That coupled with a beautiful hospital in a scenic location makes Oro Valley Hospital an exceptional place to work.