Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including Emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (distinguished by Gold Seal designations), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women's center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, Lazos de Familia and Healthy Beginnings pregnancy outreach programs, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also operates Northwest Allied Physicians, a physician practice offering primary care and a wide range of specialists as well as Desert Cardiology of Tucson. NMC is accredited by Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Summary: Collects and labels all specimens requiring testing in the clinical laboratory. Performs order entry of tests as necessary. Ensures that specimens are routed to appropriate areas for testing. Performs waived complexity testing as required under the direction of a staff technologist. Processes all specimens for reference laboratory testing.
1. Draws blood from the patient according to laboratory policy and procedure, demonstrating good phlebotomy skills. Labels all specimens at the patient bedside.
2. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in ordering and/or receiving specimens, and rejecting inappropriately collected/labeled specimens.
4. Consistently monitors stat/timed boards to ensure appropriate specimen collection and turn around times. Consistent demonstration of daily pending list management, including reconciliation of specimens and hand off to incoming staff.
5. Performs shipping documentation/batching for reference laboratory testing. Results reference laboratory testing into the IT system. Monitors and reconciles reference testing to ensure timely patient results.
6. Accurately performs and results patient testing per CLIA regulations and as directed by technical staff.
7. Performs procedures for culturing and preparation for microbiology testing.
8. Assists in the training of laboratory staff/students as required.
9. Performs clerical/supply functions.
10. Demonstrates proficiency for hospital wide and/or department specific computer software and technology.
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Three years previous phlebotomy experience in a health care setting or certification as a phlebotomist through an accredited agency. For internal candidates: 1 year experience as a Laboratory Assistant I, no corrective action for the last 6 months, and demonstrated effective communication and leadership.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. . Phlebotomy, medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
About Northwest Medical Center & Oro Valley Hospital
Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed community hospital with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, ranging from emergency to cardiac, critical care, labor & delivery and beyond. We are nationally accredited in several areas including stroke, chest pain, heart failure and joint and spine surgery. Our mission is to provide the communities we serve with high-quality cost... effective and safe health care.
For Oro Valley:
Oro Valley Hospital has been nationally recognized for its quality care including designation as a Chest Pain Center, NICHE, PEDS "Pediatric Prepared", Primary Stroke Center, STEMI Receiving Center and Trauma Level IV. That coupled with a beautiful hospital in a scenic location makes Oro Valley Hospital an exceptional place to work.