Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (recognized with Gold Seal designations by The Joint Commission), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women's center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also has several affiliated physician practices including Northwest Allied Physicians offering primary care and a wide range of specialists, Desert Cardiology of Tucson, Heart Center of Southern Arizona and Northwest Heart & Vascular. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Summary: Under general supervision performs work following established standards, practices and procedures of gross room operations.
1. Performs specimen triage handling procedures, and gross room examinations, and may assist in the embedding and cutting processes as demonstrated with competencies.
3. Performs routine maintenance on gross room area instrumentation, including, but not limited to cryostats, processors, recycler, gross dissection tables.
4. Practices safety, chemical hygiene, and biohazard procedures.
5. Performs all clerical functions within the Pathology Department.
6. Disposes of waste tissues and/or fluids per departmental procedures.
7. Recycles and neutralizes waste chemical solutions per departmental procedures.
8. Prepares specimens for reference laboratory testing, including management tracking and report distribution.
9. Proactively records all variations in instrumentation in the corrective action logs, reports timely and appropriately any deviation in acceptable specimen submission.
10. Demonstrates competency in all necessary hospital and LIS functions/modules.
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Six (6) months histology related experience, one (1) year hospital related experience, or completion of a recognized medical assistant program in a high school or vocational institute.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. Medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
About Northwest Medical Center & Oro Valley Hospital
Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed community hospital with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, ranging from emergency to cardiac, critical care, labor & delivery and beyond. We are nationally accredited in several areas including stroke, chest pain, heart failure and joint and spine surgery. Our mission is to provide the communities we serve with high-quality cost... effective and safe health care.
For Oro Valley:
Oro Valley Hospital has been nationally recognized for its quality care including designation as a Chest Pain Center, NICHE, PEDS "Pediatric Prepared", Primary Stroke Center, STEMI Receiving Center and Trauma Level IV. That coupled with a beautiful hospital in a scenic location makes Oro Valley Hospital an exceptional place to work.