Nurses are the heartbeat of a hospital, and we do our best to keep our nurses' hearts beating happily and well. Part of this is the breadth of career options for nurses at Banner Health.
This group is a team of clinically sound members that have a knack for the details and love an atmosphere that appreciates being and independent thinker.
This position provides clinical data abstraction and reporting oversight for monitoring and improving clinical performance; including abstraction of certain clinical quality metrics needed to meet, ongoing accreditation and regulatory standards.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides clinical data abstraction and reporting oversight for monitoring and improving clinical performance; including abstraction of certain clinical quality metrics needed to meet, ongoing accreditation and regulatory standards. This position works closely with leadership and medical staff at the system and facility level to support ongoing clinical abstraction and performance improvement activities. All work processed by the incumbent is considered confidential and protected from discovery, pursuant to state statutes.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Supports Clinical Consensus Groups as Subject Matter Experts for Clinical Practices designed around Joint Commission and CMS measures. Supports improvement related to clinical performance, peer review, and compliance with the regulatory and accrediting agencies. Abstracts clinical data and develops data collection tools for population specific or focused review while maintaining clinical knowledge in practice guidelines and standards. Assists in data analysis in collaboration with facility and system level QI, leadership, and medical staff committees.
2. Provides ongoing assessment of performance and identifies performance improvement opportunities or trends. Conducts high level assessments, gathers information and collaborates with key stake holders to identify and evaluate opportunities for clinical improvement. Maintains data integrity through knowledge of department, facility wide and regulatory indicators, system initiatives, and benchmarking standards. Specifically, RN Clinical Abstraction Specialists meet with the facility-based Stroke and TAVR coordinators monthly to review primary and comprehensive stroke data to identify trends/opportunities and share ideas for solutions.
3. Analyzes patient care and practice patterns within nursing, ancillary and medical staff and identifies issues with opportunities for improvement. Identifies patient safety issues, events, trends and deviations from expected clinical practices. Participates in implementation of standardized clinical practices and criteria at the system and facility level. Develops and analyzes data for administrative and clinical decision making related to clinical performance of expected practices.
4. Provides data reports and analysis to support Clinical Informatics, Clinical Consensus Groups and facility and system level leadership, medical staff, and clinical teams to aid in process improvement. Acts as clinical support for the Clinical Performance Analytics team for facility and system specific reports.
5. Reviews and recognizes peer reviewable actions, utilizes peer review data base and works closely with peer review team to ensure accurate understanding of regulatory guidelines. Enters peer review referrals in accordance with the approved system peer review indicators. Supports the peer review specialist during annual Clinical Consensus Groups review of Cardiology, CVT, and Strategic initiative peer review indicators. Maintains expertise and acts as a resource in clinical data abstraction for CMS and TJC core measures, STS, ACC-NCDR and other facility or clinical registries.
6. Provides systemwide education in form of presentations, education links and attending facility/systemwide meetings.
7. This position is highly autonomous, working remotely, and has the freedom to determine how best to accomplish functions within established policies and procedures and within department guidelines. Responsibilities cross all levels of internal customers including the department, facility and system, and external customers including but not limited to the medical staff, regulatory bodies and state agencies.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES DIRECTLY REPORTING None MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING None TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES N/A
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, values, and purpose of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS OE - Typical Office Environment: (Accountant, Administrative Assistant, Consultant, Program Manager) Requires extensive sitting with periodic standing and walking. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds. Requires significant use of personal computer, phone and general office equipment. Needs adequate visual acuity, ability to grasp and handle objects. Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone. May require off-site travel
Requires a current Registered Nurse (R.N.) license.
Requires a strong clinical background and knowledge as typically obtained through a minimum of 3-5 years of clinical experience in an acute care setting, preferably within a major health care organization or health system setting. Requires highly developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze complex medical cases. Requires ability to work autonomously, within a complex and quickly changing environment. Must have good communication skills. Must have strong organization skills and be able to work independently.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Experience working with electronic data bases along with data entry skills.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 01/27/2019
Internal Number: R8735
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.