Health care is constantly changing, and at Banner Health, we are at the front of that change. We are leading health care to make the experience the best it can be. We want to change the lives of those in our care - and the people who choose to take on this challenge. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
As the Stem Cell Program grows, the Cell Therapy Lab work volume concomitantly grows to meet the expanding needs of the Cancer Center. Our Lab Provides services seven days a week, schedule flexibility is required, This new position will be a 40/hr wk, to include weekend and call schedule.
Cryo Lab Laboratory scientist with expertise in flow-cytometry, is strongly preferred.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Experience innovative technology and exceptional opportunities for growth and development at Banner Health's state-of-the-art hospital Banner Gateway Medical Center. With comprehensive electronic medical records, physician order entry, digital radiography and proprietary advanced patient monitoring, Banner Gateway provides you with the innovative resources you need to provide your patients with the best care possible. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Located near Phoenix in Gilbert, Ariz., Banner Gateway Medical Center offers 176 private rooms, eight operating suites, a 37-bed emergency department and shares a campus with the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. Key specialties include oncology, obstetrics, bariatric surgery, emergency and other services that focus on meeting the changing needs of the dynamic and growing community we serve. About Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center Located in Gilbert, Ariz. (the Phoenix Metro area) on the Banner Gateway Campus, the center provides world-class care for oncology patients - both inpatient and outpatient - and has also brought leading oncology programs to the Banner Gateway campus including Stem Cell Transplantation and comprehensive Head & Neck cancer care. Our capabilities include five linear accelerator vaults, a brachytherapy vault, an advanced diagnostic imaging suite with PET/CT scan, more than 50 infusion bays, a cryopreservation lab and much more. Our inpatient medical oncology unit also incorporates a program that utilizes the electronic surveillance partnership in caring for the patient, where remote nurses have the ability to interact with patients via two way audio-video to assist the bedside nurse with patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for processing and analyzing peripheral blood stem cell, cord blood, and bone marrow products utilized for transplantation. This position prepares the products for transplantation and participates in the transplant procedure as well as reviewing test results and quality assessment data. This is a key position that requires theoretical and practical knowledge of progenitor hematopoietic stem cells in order to identify, purify, extract, hybridize, electrofuse , electroporate, transvect and otherwise process / manipulate such cells for the purpose of bone marrow transplant and immune-modulation (vaccines) within an extremely regulated environment. This individual will also be required to be able to interpret scientific data and work in close proximity with the Medical Director, technical director and manager of the Stem Cell Laboratory. This individual will be in charge of training current SCL employees in advanced stem cell manipulation techniques
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Processes, analyzes, manipulates and preserves hematopoietic stem cells for simple autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Prepares cellular vaccines for other immune-modulatory purposes according to IRB approved protocols. Ensures quality results through the collection and analysis of appropriate samples, appropriate labeling of specimens, proper instrument maintenance and testing consistent with pertinent accrediting agencies and regulatory requirements. Documents all test results and reports abnormal findings to appropriate parties. Performs document review and assists in reviewing results for proficiency testing
2. Transports and prepares the product for transplantation. Participates in the transplant procedure, including coordination of the patient/product verification process and stringent product transplant timeframes. Completes all necessary documentation and reporting in accordance with accrediting agencies and regulatory requirements, for local, federal, international and research-related cases/ studies.
3. Oversees product referral testing process and reviews results to identify potential risk factors. Notifies the appropriate parties of any abnormalities or concerns with the product test results.
4. Maintains internal and external transplant product database, including provider orders related to the product, product test results and all pertinent patient/donor information. Provides updated information to the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research and FDA in compliance with federal and international grant requirements.
5. Assists with coordination of workflow, training, and mentoring of support staff, as required.
6. Maintains the cleanliness of equipment and work areas. Ensures adherence to safety guidelines. Performs and oversees preventive maintenance and quality assurance on equipment. Identifies malfunctions on more complex equipment. Performs trouble shooting and notifies appropriate personnel if additional service is needed.
7. Orders and maintains inventory of testing supplies in designated area. Recognizes and provides input for opportunities for improvements in financial performance.
8. Ensures that all regulatory and compliance standards are met. Assists in the development and maintenance of quality control policies and procedures. Maintains current knowledge and skills applicable to job assignment through continuing education and professional organizations.
9. This position functions under limited supervision with after the fact review. This position has advanced working knowledge of hematology, stem cell biology and working knowledge of microbiology, computer operation, quality control, problem solving, instrument operation, troubleshooting and laboratory test result correlation using diagnosis, age related and other criteria for patient care. This position is accountable for evaluating test results and providing clinical expertise to patient care staff in interpretation of results and/or complex lab problems. Contacts may include patients; families; physicians; facility staff; local, state, and international clinic staff; and local and out of state laboratory staff, legal system and various community personnel.
Knowledge as typically obtained through the completion of a bachelor's degree in Biology or related field and two years of clinical laboratory testing experience required.
Must possess excellent organizational skills, as well as effective human relations and communication skills. Must possess excellent problem solving, prioritization and multi-tasking skills, as well as possess a high level of self-motivation. Working knowledge of medical terminology, computer literacy and keyboarding skills are required.
Current member of American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) or International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT). Knowledge of advanced cell manipulation techniques (Miltani), electroporation, electrofusion and transvection. Experience in component/Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell (HPC) production / manipulation preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R11864
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.