Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
The sterile processing department (SPD) at Banner University Medical Center staffs three locations in Tucson. The North Campus Cancer Center with full clinic support. The South Campus and Main University Teaching hospitals supporting level-1 trauma, transplant, and advanced robotics with a total of eleven surgical disciplines. SPD employees will gain knowledge of more than 15,000 surgical instruments and over 5,000 disposable sterile supplies supporting 19,000 surgeries annually in Tucson. SPD staff will communicate with surgeons, nurses, and scrub techs to support patient care in the operating room.
This position is full-time nights Tuesday to Friday 8pm-630am , with rotating on-call and holidays. Weekend rotations are required in this role. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet(tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for prioritizing, inventory and coordinating activities associated with a specific service line. Develop, implement, and manage an effective, cost-contained system for the procurement, processing and distribution of medical supplies, equipment and instruments for assigned service line.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. May perform all duties of the departmental technicians, as needed.
2. Applies judgment in determining the priority level of instrumentation and equipment requests for a specific specialty service line or shift. Recommends scheduling of procedures based on equipment and instrument needs to ensure effective patient flow
3. Coordinates with department staff in assuring service line priorities are met and completed in a timely manner.
4. Possesses in-depth knowledge of service line/shift and precepts new employees at all levels regarding service line with respect to specific issues and troubleshooting.
5. Oversees assigned service line in a competent and professional manner. Investigates, proposes solutions, follows through with issues from various department staff such as sterile processing, OR, floors, and ED to ensure safe effective patient care. Confirms problem resolution
6. Responsible for reviewing current and future OR schedules, projects future equipment and instrument needs, and ensures instruments will be processed and ready
7. Inventories instrumentation and trays for service line and orders appropriate replacements or additional depending on usage. Collaborates with OR Manager on number of tray sets and instruments needed.
8. Departmental responsibility. Incumbent assists the Operating Room and other areas in the procurement of medical supplies, instruments, and sterile processing issues. Internal customers are other company staff, physicians, patients, visitors, managers, and executives. External customers are vendors, patients, visitors, other facilities, and non-company medical facilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires national certification as a SPD Technician, Certified Registered Central Service Technician or Surgical Instrument Processor.
Requires proficiency level typically acquired with 2 years of sterile processing experience including knowledge of surgical instrumentation, patient related supplies, materials and equipment, aseptic and sterilization techniques. Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble. Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble, problem solve incomplete trays and missing instrumentation and have effective organizational, communication and human relation skills as the incumbent will be coordinating several projects simultaneously and working closely with all levels of staff.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Previous leadership experience and computer skills are preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R17327
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.