A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
This position will be hired into the newly formed Pharmacy Shared Services. This position will support Banner Family Pharmacy - Home Delivery and Banner Pharmacy Services - Specialty-Care. This Department is responsible to provide direct patient care to patients and their caregivers by assisting with financial assistance and prior authorizations.
Are you a self-starter and driven? As a supply coordinator, you will be responsible for daily maintenance of inventory and shortages. Reporting, optimization, problem solving, and other logistical tasks will be required of you. As an member of the Pharmacy procurement team, you will have the autonomy to complete projects and deadlines with some schedule flexibility, Monday thru Friday, no holidays.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Pharmacy Services division provides excellent patient care across our entire continuum through convenient access, improved medication outcomes and innovative pharmacy practices. Banner Pharmacy Services will be recognized nationally as a clinical leader and trusted partner in proactively providing innovative pharmacy services through excellence in integration, care coordination, medication management and service to make a difference in people's lives. Banner is expanding its focus from being a hospital company to a clinical quality company focused on population health management. Clinical Pharmacy Services are also included in this robust new service line and are responsible for the management of the Banner formulary, development of standardized system wide clinical pharmacy services, and management of adverse drug event preventions. Clinical Pharmacy Services provides collaborative drug therapy management and educational interventions in patient care to optimize medication therapy, improve outcomes, promote wellness, and disease prevention.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for purchasing, maintaining inventory, and coordinating semi-annual inventory for medications and supplies in the department. This individual expedites backorders and emergency orders to ensure critical shortages are resolved. Communicates with vendors and manufacturers; researches and compares medication prices in support of the current contracts; reviews and implements contract responsibilities. Must be knowledgeable of the hospital medication formulary, current medication usage trends, and purchasing needs of the department. Expedites medication recalls and returns medications as appropriate. Completes dispensing, compounding and clerical functions in the General Pharmacy, Sterile Products Area, and Prescription Pharmacy (where applicable). Assists the Pharmacist in dispensing medications and maintaining appropriate patient records, charges and inventory control.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Ensures adequate inventory. Procures medications and supplies at the bid price or most economical available cost. Inventories, evaluates need, sets reorder points, and establishes order quantities for medications including controlled substances. Submits orders to local wholesalers daily or from direct accounts as needed. Makes decisions that result in lowest possible medication expenses without jeopardizing availability of adequate inventory.
2. Reconciles invoices with merchandise received, codes invoices for payment, and processes invoices according to current Accounts Payable standards. Works closely with vendor representatives to resolve procurement and billing problems. Reconciles inter facility transfer of medications on a monthly basis. Compiles cost data, prepares reports, and processes interdepartmental charges.
3. Acts in an expeditor role for back orders and has the authority to change vendors if primary vendor cannot supply needed medications. Communicates to staff all backorders and out of stock medications. Alerts pharmacy leaders of current and anticipated shortages.
4. Addresses medication recall notices. Removes medication from current inventory, returns, and completes documentation as directed in recall notice. Maintains files and adequate documentation related to medication recalls.
5. Coordinates removal of all outdated and unusable items from inventory. Sends outdated and unusable medications to selected returns company for reimbursement. Processes invoices and maintains files with adequate documentation related to returned medications.
6. Reviews and participates in the analysis of new and existing agreements for greater cost savings. Takes part in system wide task forces for standardization of product and services and implementation of system wide agreements.
7. Works as a liaison to the contract team to promote standardization and utilization efforts. Is a resource for product and vendor information for the facilities and as a resource for products and suppliers. Works closely with assigned departments to understand and meet their needs regarding product specification and selection.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure in the state of practice (where applicable) and active pharmacy technician certification OR Pharmacy Intern licensure in the state of practice.
Must demonstrate proven knowledge of pharmacy inventory and supplies as typically obtained through 2 to 3 years pharmacy technician experience. Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Ability to learn, comprehend, and interpret contract language and legal issues of the procurement process.
Ability to use multiple software packages on a personal computer and have a working knowledge of Medication Management Information System (MMIS)
Pharmacy technician experience and pharmacy buyer experience preferred. Additional training in specialty areas (such as automatic dispensing technology, controlled substances and satellite pharmacy) preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R18184
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.