You have a place in the health care industry. If you're looking to leverage your abilities to make a real difference - and real change in the health care industry - you belong at Banner Health. Apply today.
The Patient Relations Service Center is a small team of nurses and other professionals trained to handle post-discharge patient clinical care/quality of service complaints and grievances for Banner hospitals. We work with Banner's top executives in bringing answers to the questions our patients have about the care they received. We investigate the care our patients received, partnering with leaders and physicians in areas of our hospital settings and provide our findings back to our patients. Our team believes in collaboration and supports one another each and every day. We believe in a work-life balance and a sense of belonging - this is a department where each team member is encouraged to look for ways of doing business better while staying within the guidelines of CMS.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for answering incoming calls for Patient Relations and addressing patient relations issues across multiple entities from a centralized location. Primarily focused on de-escalating complaints and issues that arise when a patient or family member is not physically present at a Banner entity through a variety of modes including social media channels, e-mails, letters, satisfaction surveys etc. The coordinator I is responsible for treating all incidents in a compassionate manner, properly documenting the issue in our system and make initial determination as to what additional resources are needed and for less complex issues, may act as investigator and facilitator to ensure timely resolution. This could include grievance identification and resolution, serving as a liaison between patients/family members and facility staff in an effort to provide missing information and to build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with patients, their families and key constituencies, resulting in enhanced patient/family experience. This also includes follow up with patient by phone and/or in a written document.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Initial point of contact for any patient relations issues when someone is not physically present at an entity. Responds in a compassionate manner and de-escalates the complaints and issues through effective communication that conveys caring.
2. Leads, receives, coordinate, facilitates, documents and tracks all issues that occur when the patient or family member is not physically present at the entity. This also includes ensuring all processes are followed to achieve timely resolution of service and care related complaints and grievances, which may include review of patient records, escalation, adhering to applicable system guidelines and regulatory requirements.
3. Maintains comprehensive complaint database and records; works to promptly resolve complaints utilizing advanced problem solving and ensuring compliance with established authority guidelines and in a manner that is acceptable to all parties involved; follows-up with patient/family members regarding complaint and/or grievance resolution; prepares and maintains related letters, reports, documents, and/or other related correspondence.
4. Communicates directly with clinical and senior executive leadership to obtain thorough investigative findings in response to all stated concerns. Ensures entity representative has contacted patient to address stated concerns, if not managed by employee, per established process. Coordinates needed information to facilitate the completion of a letter to patient as needed. Must also ensure privacy and confidentiality of the patient and their information by complying with HIPAA and privacy policies.
5. Assists in analyzing complaint and/or grievance patterns and trends and bringing to the attention of PRSC Coordinate/Director. Identifies and communicates areas negatively impacting the patient/family experience, as well as vulnerability associated with risk and quality issues with appropriate management staff.
6. Records all incoming concerns/complaints into the record system. Ensure all data is collected to assist in the completion of investigative findings and patient/family callback information. Assists teammates with entering cases in a timely manner, and answering incoming calls.
7. May compose, proofread and edit service recovery letters, ensuring consistency of style and accuracy of spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax and idiom. Ensures that correspondence accurately reflects patient concerns and investigative outcomes.
8. Responsible for responding to assigned cases with non-clinical customer service issues, billing issues that are non-clinical, issues related to HIPAA only and behavioral issues that are not related to providers or nursing staff.
9. This position focuses on de-escalating complaints and issues that arise when a patient or family member is not physically at a Banner entity. In addition to requiring some medical terminology knowledge, this position requires the ability to understand social media channels when determining the best way to respond. This role is responsible for being consistent with decisions and working within established parameters to ensure a positive patient experience, as well as system accountability for specific activities surrounding patient satisfaction. Internal customers range from executive staff to point of service providers and staff. External customers are patients, family members, medical staff, payers, and the community-at-large.
Working knowledge of medical terminology and has a basic understanding of medical practices. Also has an understanding principles and practices of customer service as normally obtained through the completion of an Associate's Degree in a relevant field and a minimum of one to three years' relevant experience.
Must have excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact and provide assistance to a diverse group of individuals. Must have excellent working knowledge of personal software packages. Must have the ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task workload in a fast paced environment. Excellent use of written language in composing a variety of presentations, policies, procedures, and other applicable communication pieces. Skilled in solving problems in order to facilitate the communication network between patient and hospital. Skilled in maintaining composure and professional demeanor in difficult and stressful situations. Requires a passion for providing excellent customer service, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
Bachelor's Degree. Previous patient relations and service experience in a medical setting as well as other environment, like retail. Experience with social media channels preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R21799
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.