"If you have a deep compassion for others and a strong spirit for innovation, Banner Health is where you can make a dramatic difference in patient care - and the healthcare field.
Banner Health is currently seeking a Clinical Documentation Specialist (CDI) Educator who will be responsible for providing education to our CDI staff and Providers. This is a primarily remote opportunity for candidates living in AZ or CO , with minimal travel to hospitals or corporate sites throughout the year. Most education will be delivered in a virtual format.
You'll be a key contributor to a nationally recognized, award-winning health care system that shares your passion for positive change. In fact, for the third time in four years, Truven Health Analytics has named Banner Health one of the Top 15 Health Systems in the U.S.-one of the top five large health systems! Our CDI program is also highly involved with ACDIS. We have staff acting as committee co-chairs, speaking at conferences and being published in the ACDIS journal. This opportunity will foster the professional growth that you are looking for as a CDI Educator.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and foster a work/life balance."
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position assists with the development of education / training materials, conducts and coordinates training and development of the centralized system Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) staff as appropriate, including documentation related education presented to physicians/providers. Creates and maintains all department training materials, tools, and/or documents. Participates as a CDI subject matter expert, ICD-10 trainer, and assists with concurrent peer evaluation and education. Conducts new hire skill assessments, department specific orientation and training for work tasks and functions. Provides ongoing, continuing education, and conducts annual competency assessments.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assists in the planning, delivery, and evaluation of the standardized and centralized educational efforts of the system Clinical Documentation Improvement program in conjunction with organizational goals and objectives.
2. Assesses and identifies skills, competencies and areas of learning and instruction needed for all CDI staff. Assists with the development of education and training, which may include preparation of related educational materials and development of cost-effective training programs that will increase the productivity of all employees. Develops, implements, and maintains tools to assess and measure CDI staff against position specific competencies.
3. Provides oversight and participation with the planning and coordination of the orientation programs for new hires; provides introduction to the program, clarifies program expectations and standards; provides prerequisite knowledge required; and assists to train in the basic job skills. Through education, coaching and mentoring builds CDI's comfort in the role from both a clinical perspective and coding knowledge perspective. Provides for onsite support of trainees, and acts as a CDI knowledge resource for staff, providers, leadership teams, and other healthcare professionals.
4. Develops and maintains an education calendar; facilitates tracking mechanisms for individual continuing education and orientation records for staff. Develops and conducts programs with educational materials, procedures and exercises that are task/function specific using a variety of learning and evaluation strategies for all staff.
5. Works in regional/system-wide teams to collaboratively design and develop educational/promotional materials and programs to effectively communicate clinical documentation improvements with health care providers. Develops strategic plans for educating health care providers utilizing a variety of teaching/educational methods to ensure successful outcomes. Promotes standardized practices for CDI-related provider education throughout the organization.
6. Maintains working knowledge and ability to configure and troubleshoot applications/equipment used in providing data. Assists in staff education regarding data report interpretation. Utilizes data in the most efficient manner and presents data in the most effective and appropriate display for the intended audience.
7. May collect and/or coordinate the collection of data, compile reports and graphs and present findings at Medical Staff Committee meetings, Health Information Management System meetings, Clinical Documentation Specialist meetings and/or other appropriate department, facility and system level meetings. May also coordinate, perform or participate in clinical pertinence and inter-disciplinary chart reviews, ensuring the reviews meet government and regulatory standards.
8. Maintains a current knowledge relating to Clinical Documentation Improvement by attending educational workshops/conferences, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and/or participating in professional societies. This may also include performing ongoing research to ensure compliance with clinical documentation and/or regulatory guidelines and standards.
9. Position is corporate based with no budgetary responsibility. Works independently under general supervision and utilizes analytical and creative thinking skills, and influencing abilities. Provides educational and training expertise towards system-wide clinical documentation improvement efforts, with responsibilities including, but not limited to, all CDI staff and staff assigned to related work teams, as well as physicians and other providers. Internal customers include Clinical Documentation, Health Information Management, and Financial Services Leadership, as well as other members of the integrated healthcare team. External customers: Vendors in the implementation and modification of information/software systems. Regulatory agencies regarding acute care coding guidelines and CDI best practices.
Requires a level of education as normally obtained through the completion of a bachelor's degree in nursing.
Requires Registered Nurse (R.N.) license in state worked. This role will require occasional travel to present/support the Enterprise educational needs for Providers and CDI Staff.
Requires a proficiency level typically attained with 5 years acute-care, inpatient hospital clinical experience. Must have the ability to work independently, possess demonstrated critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and effective written and verbal communication skills and time management skills. Must also demonstrate the ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary team format.
Requires strong working knowledge of clinical documentation methodologies as typically obtained through a minimum of 3 years relevant experience, including solid understanding of MS-DRGs, coding rules, regulations, and guidelines; identification of documentation improvement opportunities; and clarification guidelines.
Previous training/teaching experience and coaching/mentoring experience preferred. Knowledge of adult learning principles preferred. Previous experience with EMRs, CDI/Coding and IT applications preferred. Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist or Certified Coding Specialist Credential. Knowledge/use of Cerner.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R22136
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.