The BBDP is an organ donation program. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to the study of aging and the diseases of aging. Our goal is to discover new treatments and lifestyle methods that will improve the quality of life for older persons. We have an on call team that does autopsies 24hrs a day, every day. During regular work hours all samples are processed for histology.
We are the only program in the world doing rapid autopsy on well characterized donors. Our laboratory is frequently publishing cutting edge studies on Alzheimer, Parkinson's and aging. We have a very dynamic group and foster professional development.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Research is at the leading edge in a new era of scientific discovery and innovation. Our basic and clinical research faculty turns ground-breaking research findings into new identification, treatment and prevention methods for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Cardiovascular disease, Cancer and Orthopedics. We have an international reputation for our work and we provide outstanding access for patients to clinical trials. Our commitment to excellence allow us to make a difference in people's lives every day.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for performing routine to complex autopsy and laboratory diagnostic and research procedures including histological slide preparation; cutting and staining paraffin-embedded and frozen sections. Leads a rapid-response autopsy team.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs various laboratory tests in accordance with standard practice. These include histological procedures such as tissue fixation, tissue sectioning on paraffin, cryostat and sliding freezing microtomes and staining sections with classical stains such as hematoxylin and eosin, silver stains such as Gallyas and Campbell-Switzer as well as with immunohistochemical methods. Labeling and filing of slides. Biochemical methods that are part of standard practice may include preparation of fresh and frozen single-cell suspensions, processing of cerebrospinal fluid and blood, western blotting, ELISA, RNA and DNA isolation and Bioanalyzer analysis.
2. Documents laboratory test results verbally, in personal laboratory notebook, in dedicated shared laboratory binders as well as on workflow files on the network computer (Excel spreadsheet).
3. Labware supplies and preparation including buffers, fixatives and stain components; cleaning of labware, including manual cleaning and dishwasher; ordering and maintaining lab supplies and autopsy supplies.
4. Performs duties for on-call brain autopsy program including carrying a cell phone and/or pager when on duty, responding by phone to calls 24/7 within 10 minutes of being called, reporting for duty at morgue within one and a half hours of being called, receiving the body from the transport company according to standard protocols, performing the role of brain team leader or body team leader, dissecting and processing the brain or body according to standard protocols, supervising an assistant during these protocols, and completing all documentation related to the autopsy. Responsible for updating information in the shared database.
5. Performs related work, which may include assisting with animal surgery, analysis of microscopic slides, data analysis, review and summary of scientific literature and drafting of scientific publications. This may involve working solo or with a team.
6. Customers are primarily internal to the organization. Occasionally does come into contact with outside vendors, couriers and professionals who bring specimens to the laboratory or take specimens/human remains from the laboratory/morgue.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Bachelor of Science degree in biology or biosciences.
Incumbent must maintain absolute confidentiality regarding human subject identity and must have ability to communicate sufficiently to perform duties in a manner consistent with departmental scope of services and standards.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Coursework in gross human and/or vertebrate anatomy. Relevant experience in hospital pathology setting and/or biomedical research.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R27644
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.