Great options and great opportunities. Banner Health has both the stability that comes with success and the values you can be proud to represent. If you're looking to leverage your abilities - you belong at Banner Health.
Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located on the campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients.
As the RN Trauma Outreach Coordinator (Injury Prevention / Trauma Education ) you will have the opportunity to use your clinical experience in a high acuity, patient care area but in a community outreach role. You will be responsible for injury prevention activities and programs for children, adolescents, adults, and seniors, as well as for providing trauma-related educational programs to the nurses of the Emergency Department, Intensive Care Units, and Wards. You will assist the Trauma Program Manager (TPM) with Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) courses.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet(tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is a resource for all facilities and Emergency Medical Services within their specific Trauma Advisory Committee region, and all organizational facilities in the area. Works to promote and provide optimal care of the trauma patient through coordination and liaison activities for their facility and others as needed. Provides for community education and injury prevention activities. Works to promote and provide optimal care operations for injured patients through coordination and liaison activities to the community agencies and outer lying facilities for which their facility is a referral center. Ensures compliance with injury prevention and outreach requirements as outlined by the state and the American College of Surgeons (ACS) regulation criteria for maintaining the Trauma Level for their facility.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Responsible for attendance and participation in quality improvement meetings and operations for outreach facilities, as invited. Works closely with the facility Trauma Services Medical Director to provide quality improvement review and feedback to these facilities as outlined in the outreach criteria delineated by the state to maintain Trauma Level for their facility.
2. Responsible for community education and injury prevention involvement by participating in community and state wide programs and organization designed for such. Attends and participates in meetings, activities, and presentations sponsored by these organizations to provide education and injury prevention for the local community. In addition, attendance to any regulatory meetings regarding injury prevention is required. Prevention activities will coordinate with injury occurrences presenting to the facility trauma services registry, in accordance with standards outlined in the Trauma Center verification requirements.
3. Serves as a liaison between the facility and other facilities or agencies included in their Trauma Advisory Council region. This role is responsible for information dissemination to and from all such facilities and agencies involved in trauma care in the defined region. Represents the facility by required attendance to local agency committees designed to coordinate and collaborate with participating trauma organizations. Ensures appropriate service interaction and communication with committee members, customers, and agencies involved and encountered.
4. Assists as needed with ACS site survey preparation as directed. Also assists with trauma education by participating in monthly trauma CME education acquisition of speakers. Participates in facility and organization trauma conference planning and preparation as directed. Assists with coordination and teaching of trauma courses such as ABLS, TNCC, ENPC as needed, and participates with trauma education / orientation improvement as directed.
5. Serves as a resource for trauma data registry collection including Clinical Data Management (CDM) registry, evaluation of data, preparation of periodic reports reflecting trauma systems operations and all statistical information relevant to patient outcomes. Similarly, serves as a resource to other organizational facilities who utilize CDM as their trauma registry program.
6. Responsible for patient care following and case review, abstraction and ICD-9 / AIS coding of patient data of all trauma patients transferred into facility from other facilities. Provides follow up information and education to transferring facilities in accordance with confidentiality regulations. Attends weekly and monthly meetings of the Trauma Services Program as necessary to provide outreach education to facilities included with patient follow up of care.
7. This role requires continuous injury prevention and trauma outreach competency assurance for quality improvement consistent with state and American College of Surgeons trauma program requirements.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
Knowledge and experience equivalent to a Bachelors Degree in Nursing.
RN licensure in state of practice required. BLS certification required.
Minimum of 5 years clinical experience in a high patient acuity area including emergency, ICU, trauma, and/or EMS and aeromedical.
PC and computer skills including: word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software and publishing software. Demonstrate proficient interpersonal and customer service communication skills; professional interaction with all individuals and public organizations associated with the trauma program.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Three to five years prior experience working as a Trauma Nurse Coordinator or in trauma outreach and experience working in a hospital based trauma program. Certification as Trauma Nurse Core Course Provider OR Instructor preferred. Certification in Pediatric trauma course (PALS or ENPC) and Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS) preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.