General Operations and Culinary Services Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position plans daily food production for assigned areas and produces all food items based on information obtained from production sheets, cafe menus, catering requests, and any other approved source.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Prepares all food items according to standardized recipes. Adjusts recipe quantities for correct yields. Notifies supervisor of any problems relating to production.
2. Plans food production timing and quantities in accordance with the daily orders, menu tally sheets and production assignments. In the event of shortage, determines menu substitutions for regular and cafe menus. Consults with diet tech or dietician for menu substitution needs for special diets.
3. Minimizes food waste with appropriate planning and tracking. Records food shortages and excess quantities in accordance with department procedure.
4. Checks and logs food and equipment temperatures and reports any problems to the supervisor. Reads thermometers and follows safety requirements.
5. Maintains par levels of food and supplies in assigned areas, orders and/or restocks items in accordance with established routines, rotates food stocks, checks freshness dates.
6. Keeps assigned work areas clean and in an orderly manner. Reports all needed equipment repair.
7. May receive and check in deliveries from vendors and in menu planning. May also oversee production quality when needed.
8. Works under general supervision. Provides leadership and knowledge in cooking and food preparation skills to other members of the kitchen staff. Has primarily inter-department responsibility. May deal with external customers in cafe or catering work assignments.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
This position requires the knowledge and abilities in institutional food production normally acquired with two or more years of similar work experience in production cooking, plus a solid understanding of cooking principles, menu substitutions and modified recipes for all commonly prescribed diets. Must have skills and demonstrated abilities in hot food production and the use of all required commercial kitchen equipment. Must be able to learn and follow established policies and procedures, read and understand written and verbal instruction, communicate effectively, perform math calculations regarding recipe weights and amounts plus calculate amounts of food for necessary production. Must be able to learn food handling regulations and pass certification tests as required. Must be able to perform tasks within limited time frames and follow production and cleaning schedules plus use chemicals safely. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or Boswell Skilled Nursing Facility must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
All onsite food service equipment including stoves, ovens, steam-jacketed kettles, tilt skillet, broiler, steam table, grill, deep fryer, slicer, Buffalo Chopper, mixer, food carts, dish racks, cleaning equipment and hazardous chemicals used in cleaning and sanitation.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.