We are currently looking for Full-Time Night Vascular Access Specialist to join our team! As a Vascular Access Specialist at Banner Desert Medical Center you will be part of our team providing care for neonates, pediatrics and adult patients, all while doing so with a happy heart. Being a member of the Respiratory Department here at Banner Desert, a level 1 trauma destination, allows you the opportunity to work in the Emergency Department, NICU, PICU, Adult ICU, and to be a part of adult and pediatric cardiac cases.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.??
Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Children's Hospital at Desert If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Banner Children's Hospital at Desert in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position independently provides and maintains peripheral and central venous access. This position conducts patient assessments and provides recommendations regarding care, serves as a resource person and specialist and provides assistance with departmental activities, quality improvement and development of best practice guidelines.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Reviews labs, patient history and physician orders to determine appropriate line to be utilized for the procedure and/or identify potential issues that may arise or preclude the patient from being a viable candidate or require alternate form of vascular access. Collaborates with physicians to determine appropriate long-term access needs. Obtains patient???s authorization to perform the procedure. Inserts peripheral venous and/or arterial catheters to provide access or more complex vascular access as indicated.
2. Inserts and maintains peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) lines according to department policy and procedures to include dressing changes, line reviews and declotting. Utilizes ultrasound technology to ensure accurate insertion of the PICC line. Reviews chest x-rays to ensure accurate placement of the central venous catheter or device. Maintains sterile field throughout the insertion process to ensure quality outcomes. Maintains accurate, timely and appropriate documentation.
3. Inserts and maintains all central lines (simple and complex) in the neck and chest according to department policy and procedures to include dressing changes, line reviews, port access and declotting. Utilizes ultrasound technology, advanced knowledge of anatomy and specialized insertion techniques to ensure accurate and appropriate insertion of the central line. Reviews chest x-rays to ensure accurate placement of the central venous catheter or device. Maintains sterile field throughout the insertion process to ensure quality outcomes. Maintains accurate, timely and appropriate documentation.
4. Participates in ongoing monitoring of quality initiatives, department database, appropriateness and effectiveness of bundle compliance, acts as a change agent and participates in the development, interpretation, implementation and evaluation of quality goals/objective and quality management activities within the clinical service lines. May coordinate oversight of quality and safety standards, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards.
5. Acts as a resource to therapists and other healthcare practitioners regarding patient status, equipment and operational issues. Participates in interdisciplinary rounding, making recommendations for changes in therapy dictated by the patient???s condition.
6. Provides training, orientation and patient education to staff, patients and families, in accordance with policy and practice guidelines. Assists in the development of departmental policies and procedures based on best practice.
7. Assures the efficient operation of workflow of the department. Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of supplies and material to ensure non-interruption of services. Provides maintenance of associated equipment as demonstrated through observation and documentation.
8. May, on occasion, provide respiratory therapy services as prescribed and in accordance with established department/hospital policies and procedures, including inserting and maintaining arterial lines, assisting in FDPAC and IAPB insertion and associated invasive cardiac outputs/profile and non-invasive cardiac outputs. Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
9. This position independently provides central and peripheral vascular access, and advanced clinical monitoring techniques to a diverse patient population. Serves as a resource person and may provide direction to staff. Internal customers: All levels of nursing management and staff, medical staff, and all other members of the interdisciplinary health care team. External Customers: Physicians and their office staff, payers, community agencies and regulatory agencies.
Associate or technical degree. Successful completion of a training course in PICC and Banner Health Sims Lab training for CVC insertions.
Proof of good standing with the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). A current license in state practiced as required by state law.
Certification for Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) required.
In-depth knowledge of clinical techniques, applications and equipment as typically obtained through 4 years of clinical experience as a RRT, including 1 year of independent PICC or CVC line insertions.
Must possess highly effective human relation skills necessary to interface with patients, families, staff and other healthcare personnel.
CPUI and VA-BC certifications preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.