The future is full of possibilities. At Banner Health, we???re excited about what the future holds for health care. That???s why we???re changing the industry to make the experience the best it can be. Our team has come together with the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better.?? The future of health care starts here. If you???re ready to change lives, we want to hear from you. Apply today.
When facing a cancer diagnosis, a common question is, ???where can I go for help???? The answer is Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. By partnering with MD Anderson, one of the nation???s leading cancer centers, Banner Health???s cancer care includes outstanding cancer programs that integrate the latest in research, education and prevention. All Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center locations in Arizona and Colorado provide care based on the same protocols and practice standards provided at MD Anderson in Houston. We believe patient care is most effective when it???s truly collaborative. Our evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach brings together physicians from all cancer specialties to provide highly coordinated and compassionate care. Our cancer experts include medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, physician specialists, nurses and clinical support staff.?? A vital member of the team includes our clinical nurse navigators who work closely with patients, guiding them through their first visit and serving as a single point of contact throughout their care. From prevention to treatment and beyond, no matter where our patients are on their cancer journey, the team at Banner MD Anderson will be by their side.
Our Medical Oncology Clinic at Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center- Banner Del Webb Campus is a busy and growing physician based clinic. We provide excellent and compassionate comprehensive patient care from diagnosis to treatment and beyond
Will consider new graduates for this opportunity!
Hours are Mon-Fri 8a-5p, No weekends or holidays
Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center excels in providing extraordinary health care to residents of the northwest Valley of metro Phoenix and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. With 390 licensed beds, the hospital provides a wide range of services, including acute medical and surgical services as well as intensive care, emergency and urgent care, inpatient/outpatient surgery, cardiac catheterization, neurology, orthopedics, oncology, urology, pulmonary, obstetrics and gynecology, extended care, outpatient diagnostic services, acute and outpatient rehabilitation and adult behavioral services.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for working with patients who have a personal or family history of cancer or other inherited disorders. The counselor obtains personal and family medical history, develops and analyzes pedigrees, determines if genetic testing is appropriate, arranges genetic testing, analyzes and interprets test results in order to provide patient care plans and treatment options. Counselors provide counseling and psychosocial support to patients and families. Works collaboratively with External Clinical Cancer Genetics program that provides medical direction for the Banner program.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides counseling and genetic assessment services to patients with personal or family history, or are at risk for cancer. Provides education and counseling on genetic principles and tests to patients and family members.
2. Obtains and reviews patient???s personal and family medical history. Retrieves and reviews medical records. Documents family history and constructs pedigrees to assess the pattern of cancer in the family and risk of cancer and to determine whether genetics testing is appropriate.
3. Works in collaboration with external Clinical Cancer Genetics Program regarding clinical care and the research program. Clinical Genetics Program staff provide medical direction for the Banner program.
4. Interprets complex genetics principles, laboratory data and test results. Provides counseling recommendations for care and psychosocial support for patients and families regarding risk of an inherited disorder. Establishes a plan of care based on genetic assessment.
5. Assists with research protocol enrollment, collection of samples, data management, and patient consent in accordance with the Institutional Review Board.
6. Provides education of genetic counseling and cancer genetics to health care professionals, including residents, physicians, oncology program staff, as well as organizations and individual members of the community.
7. May assist with facility program development.
8. Position works independently and with medical guidance from external Clinical Cancer Genetics research facility, working within protocols and interpreting genetic risk. Position provides care planning and counseling for patients and at risk individuals. Contacts include nursing, physicians, residents, Clinical Cancer Genetics facility medical staff, patients, families and community organizations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS A Master???s Degree in Genetic Counseling, obtained through a genetic counseling program accredited by the ACGC (Accrediting Council for Genetic Counseling), is required. Must be eligible for Board Certification as a Genetic Counselor. Genetic Counselor certification must be obtained within 24 months of hire.
Position requires excellent communication, interpersonal, counseling and psychosocial assessment skills in establishing patient rapport and in responding to issues of client or family; Requires critical thinking skills to complete complex research and analysis. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson on the Banner University Medical Center Phoenix campus must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. This is a requirement of the Whole Family Counseling Program held at this specific facility.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Board Certified Genetic Counselor with Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.