Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
The Medication History Technician will assist the pharmacy, nursing and medical staff in obtaining accurate home medication lists from patients entering the hospital and conveying that information verbally or electronically to the appropriate provider of care. This position must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to our patients, the public, and our co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Prioritizes workflow, focusing first on hospital-defined patient types who will be, or have been, admitted to the hospital.
- Obtains accurate home medication histories by chart review, effective patient or patient caregiver interview, and phone calls to retail pharmacies and physician offices to generate the best possible prior to admission medication list for provider reconciliation.
- Processes patient medication history and enters information accurately into the computer system; obtains and enters last dose information, prints report and reviews with patient for accuracy.
- Updates electronic home medication data bases and compares these lists to orders written upon admission to the hospital. Works with nursing, pharmacists, and physicians to resolve any discrepancies.
- Obtains complete allergy information including types of reactions from patient or caregivers; enters the information accurately into the computer system and consults with the pharmacist if there is a question regarding the allergy information provided.
- Utilizes appropriate medication information resources to identify medications as needed.
- Accurately collects appropriate data for reporting to various hospital quality committees.
- Appropriately uses the pharmacy systems provided and trouble shoots problems as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including coverage in the pharmacy.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Current PTCB certification required or eligible to successfully complete within 6 months of hire.
- Virginia Board of Pharmacy technician licensure required.
- A minimum of two years of Pharmacy Technician experience required.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a retail pharmacy environment is preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited pharmacy technician program preferred.
- Strong mathematics and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to work with computers.
- Ability to work in a versatile environment and manage multi-task demands.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.